Australian Pharmaceutical Formulary and Handbook (APF23) news and updates
- Cautionary advisory label update: Vinorelbine – posted 9 October 2015
Vinorelbine products available in Australia should be stored at 2 to 8°C. The recommended cautionary advisory labels for vinorelbine are: 6, 18, 21, A*, B*
- Cautionary advisory label update: Dabigatran – posted 9 October 2015
Table A1 of APF23 (page 18 of hard-copy book) contains the following cautionary advisory label (CAL) recommendations for dabigatran: 7b (30 days), 10b, 13, A The storage recommendation to discard the contents 30 days after opening refers to dabigatran when it is packaged in a bottle.
- APF23 – Major additions and changes
- Medicines labels help to minimise risk
May 8, 2015 A significant number of medicines have the potential to pose a health and safety risk as a result of unintended exposure when people other than the patient – such as carers, family members or healthcare professionals – handle the medicine.To help protect people from such exposure, the latest edition of the Australian Pharmaceutical Formulary and Handbook (APF23) contains a list of hazardous medicines that are:
- designated as pregnancy category X or D
- reported to pose a risk to patients or carers through inappropriate handling.
- Cautionary Advisory Labels in practice (posted 3 May 2015)
Cautionary Advisory Labels (CALs) produced by PSA are essential consumer resources that promote quality use of medicines. This article, from Australian Pharmacist March 2015, provides an update on the optimal use of CALs.
- Chapter: Biosimilar medicines (posted 18 February 2015, updated 9 December 2015)
The Biosimilar medicines chapter of APF23 (pages 94–96) contains details about the naming convention and interchangeability of biosimilars. Please note that information about biosimilar medicines is rapidly evolving and current guidance about biosimilar medicines is available on the TGA website https://www.tga.gov.au/publication/evaluation-biosimilars and the PBS website http://www.pbs.gov.au/info/publication/factsheets/biosimilars/biosimilar-medicines-factsheet-for-healthcare-professional