Take the first step to becoming a GP Pharmacist by enrolling into PSA’s GP Pharmacist Foundation Training.
General Practice Pharmacist Training
Take the next step in your career and work collaboratively with GPs to improve patient outcomes.
PSA is the leader in education and support for pharmacists new to or interested in working in general practice, and for pharmacists already working in general practice to advance their career.
GP Pharmacist Foundation Training
PSA’s General Practice Pharmacist Foundation Training provides an overview of core knowledge and skills required by pharmacists wishing to work in general practice. It is designed for pharmacists new to or interested in working in general practice, and covers topics such as the general practice team, the Medicare Benefits Schedule, Practice Incentives Program and health records. It is recommened that pharmacists new to or interested in working in general practice complete the Foundation Training Program.
- The training program consists of 12 online modules
- Access to PSA General Practice Pharmacist Foundation Training Manual (PDF manual containing detailed information to accompany the online modules)
- A pre-assessment quiz allows you to determine your current knowledge and identify areas where you may benefit from further learning
- Access to the PSA General Practice Pharmacist Online Community of Practice online forum
- The role of the General Practice Pharmacist
- How general practice fits in to the broader healthcare system
- General practice software (an introduction)
- General practice billing and funding sources
- Integrating into the general practice team
- The roles of different members of the general practice team (GPs, nurses, allied health professionals, practice manager and reception staff) and examples of activities pharmacists can collaborate with these staff members on
- The Practice Incentives Program
- The Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS)
- MBS Item numbers: Medication Management Reviews, Health Assessments, Chronic Disease Management, Multidisciplinary Case Conferences
- Clinical governance
- General practice accreditation
- Standards for general practices and how they relate to the general practice pharmacist
- Undertaking patient consultations
- Communicating with other members of the health care team
- Health records in general practice (including My Health Record)
- Clinical audits
- Collaborating with community pharmacists
GP Pharmacist Community Forum
When you enrol in the training program you will be given access to the PSA General Practice Pharmacist Online Community of Practice. The community of practice is an online forum for pharmacists working in (or interested in working in) general practice, and provides a forum for pharmacists to network, share information and discuss industry-specific matters.
- Once enrolled you can access the forum through the GP Pharmacist Foundation Training Program page.
- The online community of practice is available to all PSA members interested in or working in general practice. PSA non-members who have purchased the General Practice Pharmacist: Foundation Training Program will be enrolled into and be able to access the forum for a period of 12 months from the date of purchasing the program.
- For further information about the PSA General Practice Pharmacist Online Community of Practice please email GPPharmacist@psa.org.au.
To assess if you are ready to become a General Practice Pharmacist, we recommend the following criteria as ideal characteristics and experience to enter the general practice setting:
- Current registration as a pharmacist with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Minimum 2 years’ experience post-registration
- Medication Management Review accreditation is desirable but not essential. Accreditation is available through the Australian Association of Consultant Pharmacy (AACP) or The Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia (SHPA). Further information about Medication Management Review Accreditation is available here.
- Complete or be enrolled in the PSA GP Pharmacist Foundation Training Program
- Member price: $550
- Non-member price: $825
Advanced Stage Training
Advanced workshops are being offered across Australia to support your work in general practice and individual professional development needs.
Workshops will cover both clinical and non-clinical topics. For further information or to register your interest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Australian Association of Practice Management (AAPM) has reviewed and acknowledges the value of general practice pharmacist foundation training provided by PSA to support pharmacists to work in general practice.
The PSA gratefully acknowledges the Australian Medical Association (AMA) assistance with review and input into the preparation of the PSA General Practice Pharmacist Training Program and PSA General Practice Pharmacist Support Tools.