Victorian Opioid Pharmacotherapy Program
PSA offers the following training programs to enable pharmacists and pharmacy staff deliver a safe and patient-centred Opioid Replacement Therapy (ORT) service.
- Victorian Opioid Pharmacotherapy Program (VOPP) – for pharmacists and pharmacy staff
- Long Acting Injectable Buprenorphine Administration by Pharmacists Training (LAIB Training) – for pharmacists
Why are these training programs important?
The aim of these training programs is to provide pharmacists and pharmacy support staff with the relevant knowledge, skills and tools required to deliver a safe and patient-centred Opioid Replacement Therapy (ORT) service.
The VOPP will help pharmacists and pharmacy staff identify those who would benefit from pharmacotherapy, engage in a discussion of the benefits of the program in a non-stigmatising manner, and ensure the consistency and quality of services offered.
The LAIB training will enable pharmacist acquire relevant knowledge and skills to administer long-acting injectable buprenorphine in a safe and patient-focused environment.
What’s in it for you?
The VOPP and LAIB training
- are FREE for all pharmacists and pharmacy staff in Victoria
- have all you need to know about delivering an ORT service
- help you establish your pharmacy to support patients with an opioid dependence
- enable you to play a key role in reducing the health, social and economic harms to individuals and the community
Your learning journey
The table below illustrates the training requirements for pharmacists to:
Provide ORT service including methadone and oral buprenorphine
Administer long acting injectable buprenorphine
Complete an accredited Immunisation training
Complete LAIB training
This program is delivered via a blended mode, consisting of the following:
- Self-paced pre-reading online modules
- Two-part series facilitator-led workshop (Workshop 1 and 2)
The program content comprises of Part 1 and Part 2:
Workshop 1 or Pre-reading online modules
- covers all necessary information and knowledge on ORT
- addresses the learning objectives of Part 1
- is a case scenario based workshop that reinforces concepts through real life scenarios and group discussions, led by the workshop facilitator
- addresses the learning objectives of Part 2
- Workshop 1 is optional. Participants may choose to complete the online modules only, as pre-reading for Workshop 2.
- Workshop 1 and 2 are available via digital delivery (video conferencing platform Zoom) and face-to-face. Delivery method will be indicated when selecting the workshop dates.
LAIB training explained
This self-paced online training module details the relevant knowledge, skills and tools required for pharmacists to administer long-acting injectable buprenorphine.
In Victoria, in order to administer LAIB, pharmacist are required to
- be familiar with and understand requirements for pharmacotherapy program delivery by:
- Completing VOPP (described above) OR
- Working as a registered pharmacist in ORT delivery for at least five years
- be familiar with and understand requirements for injection administration, by completing an accredited Immunisation training
- complete this LAIB Training
For more information about the training programs, please contact PSA Learner Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further support on the ORT service in Victoria, please contact Alcohol and other Drugs, Department of Health at email@example.com
PSA acknowledges the support of the Victorian State Government.