PSA is custodian of the National Competency Standards Framework for Pharmacists in Australia. The standards are regularly reviewed and revised by all stakeholders of the pharmacy profession. The current version was published in November 2010.
The revised standards:
- Consolidate eight domains (previously functional areas) and 33 standards to represent the total competency framework for the pharmacy profession
- Strengthen certain requirements, particularly in the areas of leadership and management, extemporaneous preparation, researchers and educators, collaboration, primary and preventive health care
- Clearly articulate performance criteria expected at initial registration (i.e. at entry level)
- Communicate the importance and relevance of competency standards at all stages of a pharmacist’s professional life and
- Introduce the concept of advanced practice to the profession.
Links and download
National Competency Standards (1.5 MiB) Acrobat (pdf) file